Recently, a few of us in Townsville visited Peter Lindsay (local Liberal MP) to express our concern about the continuing decline in mineral exploration, and we followed up with a letter (which I can email to anyone who’s interested). One of the main issues discussed with Peter Lindsay during our visit, and in the letter, was the need for investment and taxation initiatives to promote mineral exploration investment in Australia (e.g. as in the Canadian flow-through share scheme).
It’s a good time to call or write to your local politicians*: they’re in election mode, as are candidates for the upcoming federal election. There are several articles on the AIG web site that may be of use in providing statistics, including:
– A recent study by AMEC on the Economic Significance of the Australian Mining Industry
– The results of a WA study on the Multiplier Effects of Mining and Exploration
Information on the Canadian flow-through share scheme is available from the Prospectors & Developers Association of Canada, here
Other AIG web site areas that may be of interest:
– A new on-line poll on the AIG home page What investment and taxation incentives are needed to promote mineral exploration in Australia?
– Updated Commodities Links, with stock quotes and ASX company announcements.
– A recent paper by Ian Levy in AIG’s on-line Journal “Hedging at its Most Basic”
30 July 2001
*You may obtain a contact list of Federal MHR’s
(including e-mail addresses) and Senators from the following web pages:
House of Representatives: Alphabetical Member List